Jason's blog

Google

Thursday, April 20, 2006

Meeting the parents

Stuck in traffic with my girlfriend last Friday afternoon, I reached for the protein shake I had prepared before I left the house. After taking a big swig of the chocolate-and-water mixture, something happened. The bottle tipped sideways and as I violently grabbed it with my other hand to prevent a disaster, the beverage sprayed onto the dash, my jeans, and the floormat.

Thirty minutes later, I was drinking from a bottle of water when I spilled some of that into the center console of my better half's Honda Civic. "Are you nervous to meet parents honey?" she asked.

And so it began.

Meeting the parents. It is a big step in any relationship. I had been telling all of my friends about my big Easter weekend plans, and the same question kept coming up: "So Jason, are you nervous?"

Frankly, I wasn't nervous. I was excited to meet the molders of this wonderful person in my life. They live on the water, complete with a dock, a handful of boats, and enough fishing rods to supply a charter boat. Nervous? Heck no.

We arrived at her parents at 6:30 that night, after sitting through hours of holiday weekend traffic. When I got out of the car and started to walk toward the house, that's when the nerves arrived. It wasn't bad, but I wanted to make a good impression. I greeted her parents and instantly felt welcomed. It was such a comforting feeling.

There are a few issues that always come up when you visit your other half's parents. Well, atleast in my mind. Here are a few examples.

Sleeping arrangements. This is a big one. Some parents do not mind their son or daughter staying in the same room as their significant other in their house, some do. This is usually worked out prior to the visit so there are no questions.

The bathroom. Ah yes. The bathroom. This may not be an issue for the ladies, but us fellas always think about this. You can't spend too long in the bathroom doing, uh, bathroom stuff, because the parents might think you are weird. And I cannot stress this enough: Always, always, always make sure there is an ample supply of toilet paper before closing the door behind you. Running out of that stuff in my girlfriend's parents' house might be my worst nightmare. That, or having to pull her aside and ask, "Does your dad have a plunger?"

Alcohol consumption. This might be the determining factor. Meeting the parents is big. Huge. And you do not, I repeat do not, want to ruin an otherwise meaningful relationship by being "Colleen's drunk boyfriend." Symptoms of this include yelling obscenities, relieving yourself on the backyard storage shed, and planting an open-mouth kiss on Aunt Doris. If you suffer from any of these, immediately retreat and call for backup.

Despite what you might think after reading the above, my weekend went perfect. We attended a cookout at Colleen's brother and sister-in-law's house on Saturday, I played my guitar for her parents and sister that night, and went to Easter Mass Sunday morning.

The latest exit polls show that I have the family's approval, so I am on the right track. I am just happy I didn't pull a Ben Stiller (the male nurse) and really screw it up.

-Jason

22 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long have you been dating this girl (a month?)...and you call her your better half? Slow down.

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger Emily said...

I knew you had a girlfriend, your posts are happening with longer periods in between... Ah, new relationships... getting the meet and greet over and done with is a huge step. I remember when I took Adam to Boston to meet all of you guys, I kept asking him if he was nervous and he said "of course not, if you like me, they will too"... he told me later that the 13 hours of driving to get there helped loosen him up a bit too! I remember sitting there at your house having Chinese food and listening to everyone talking and marveling at how easy it all was. hee hee!
I am so glad you had a great visit and avoided any bathroom or drinking related issues. Hey, when its right it just easy.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay, how do they live on water? do they walk around on the water like Jesus? Do they keep their possession at the bottom of the lake?

 
At 5:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man the bathroom thing is key. I can just see Jay having an SCB and reachin' for the Charmin when there's none there!!

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL bob-o!!! I can especially see that happening if her parents served burritos, or some sort of Fish sandwiches with salsa!!!!!

 
At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will admit...I was a little nervous for you when you knocked over the two drinks in less than 30 minutes- but had no doubt in my mind that my family would LOVE you!! And of course they did- perhaps a little too much! Although, note to self, don't show my Dad up like that again on guitar- he's not used to having people performing better than him! :) Great weekend all around- shrimp creole, great wine, nephew's first birthday party (Prince Harry as you call him), baseball in the backyard, Easter egg hunt, cookout....and no drunken episodes or need for a plunger. What more could a girl ask for when she brings her guy down to meet her family? In all seriously Jason, THEY LOVE you. And already are asking about the next time you are coming down to visit the "rivah"....:)

Your girl,
Colleen

 
At 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jas,
I'm so glad that meeting Colleen's parents went so well. We are all so excited to meet her-she sounds great!! But Colleen if you read this, I want you to know that you are encouraged to have as many drinks as you want at my graduation party...the devaney graduation parties have gone down in history as being pretty crazy, and this being the last one-makes it a gauranteed good time. We can't wait to meet you!! Congrats on the job Jas-can't wait to see you too!!

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alison...I too cannot wait to meet you and the rest of your family in a few weeks! I have heard a lot about these Devaney graduation parties, and don't worry- I plan to partake im my fair share of fun (without embarrassing myself and Jason that is). And if I do (but I assure you I won't), I always have my excuse of being VERY Irish! :) See you soon!

Colleen

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Emily said...

The above post was not me Jas.

 
At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the jerk who keeps posting the anonymous blogs- stop ruining the blogs for everyone else- get a life and grow up.

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, whoever has been posting those messages is immature and should fine something more useful to do with their time.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Again, I agree. To the person that is posting the rude messages, it would really be nice of you to leave Jason and his family and friends alone.
And by the way, it must be convenient to have the internet to hide behind and create all of the fake names to hide who you are. Grab a sack and put your real name on your posts. No one thinks your comments are cute or funny in any way.
Thanks! You will not be missed.

 
At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

Jason...

I always consider meeting the parents a big step. The best advice I could have given you was to be yourself.

I consider meeting a woman's parents like interviewing for a job. The job (or more like the approval) to date their daughter.

I think I did such a good job meeting my last girlfriend's mother that she berated her daughther for dumping me for another dude. It was hiliarious.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Andy, I second that...
Jason, come back, we like your blogs!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Alright, Colleen confirmed that you are happy and able to write... but I think you have a little bit of writer's block.
Here are three topics for you to choose from. (some lighter hearted then the others)
1. President Bush's approval ratings.
2. Your baby sister is graduating from college.
3. Take a cue from all of the conspiring men in our family and write your thoughts on the Kennedy assisination.

Hope to hear from you soon cousin! Colleen, I hope I get to meet you soon, we are going to try and make a trip up Naath (North) here this summer, but we will see if my two babies cooperate.
All my best,
Cousin Emy

 
At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Cousin Emy-a nice blog about your baby sisters college graduation would be great. You could talk about what a fabulous weekend we had and how much we loved meeting Colleen :) !!!

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

do we have an update here? It has been a minute since you blogged.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Andy Cuneo said...

To quote Vince Vaughn in Swingers " jeezuus chriiiiiiiist" it';s been forever since you wrote a blog, primarily because your schedule now includes gym, dinner, shower bed....this is not good for your readership. However, I would like to point out, sadly I might add, that despite the drop-off in blogs (and Colleen I don't blame you at all on this), he has had 24 messages posted to his last blog whereas I, who last wrote a blog 3 weeks ago, have had three...or was that two people. Now, I propose this, for everyone who had decided to post on Devaney's blog, we need to petition you all to have Colleen write a blog. Because someone in that relationship has to write one by God and it isn't going to be Mr. Devaney. So I propose Colleen write a blog...on different topics such as 1) Jay not writing one 2)Jay drinking seabreezes instead of beer and Colleen's subsequent hysterical comments thereafter (and folks, they ARE funny)or 3) Colleen's courageous, but misguided affinity to my dog Jake (whom you may have if you ask). GO FOR IT COLLEEN! THE WORLD IS YOUR OYSTER!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home