Jason's blog

Google

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Merry, uh, what?

Hey everyone. The staff here at Jason's blog is back after a four-day hiatus! Ok, the staff is only me, but I am back.

How was your Christmas? Have you all heard about this debate between the term "Christmas" and "Holiday?" What's up with that? Some places have even banned the phrase "Merry Christmas" and replaced it with "Happy Holidays." Another town banned all red poinsettias from its town hall and replaced them with white ones. Huh? They did what now?

Some of the liberals of this country are claiming that the term
"Merry Christmas" is no longer the politically correct way to wish someone a, well, Merry Christmas. People are saying that the phrase refers to Christianity and since we are a diverse group in the US of A, that's not a good thing.

I don't know about you, but my opinion is that Christmas is an AMERICAN holiday, not just a Christian one. Sure, there is a religious aspect to it, but things like Christmas trees, wreaths, fancy lights that hang from your roof, and exchanging gifts are all customs. Not religious ones, but American ones.

I have some Jewish friends who celebrate Chanukah and I know some African-Americans who may or may not celebrate Kwanza (I honestly do not know), but it's always been "Merry Christmas" between us. Am I supposed to ask someone what their religion is before wishing them "Merry Christmas" from now on? Would someone who celebrates Chanukah be offended if I asked them if they were Jewish before wishing a Merry or Happy somethingorother? I am very confused.

By the way, I'll give five free blog points to the person who counts the number of times I wrote "Merry Christmas" in this post. What is a blog point? I have no idea.

-Jason

2 Comments:

At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 :)

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Jas, its all good, coming from my lovely mixed family~ mom is Jewish, dad of course Catholic, we just go with the OC and wish everyone happy Chrismakuh! Who knows, I think its TMoblile who has the most all encompassing "Happy Christmahakawasakah to you!!!" I think its hilarious.
Our family celebrates it all, there are even mixed cards that combine Christmas with any holiday you can imagine. If ever in doubt say happy holidays!
I love you sweet cousin! My Jewish and Catholic sides!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home