Jason's blog

Google

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

My least favorite thing to do

I completed my first session of Christmas shopping last night. On December 18. How did it go, you ask? Well, it went about as smooth as a Brittany Spears interview about being a responsible parent.

I really dislike Christmas shopping. Not that I don't enjoy giving because I do. But the thought of spending three hours in a crowded mall, having to fight my way through the stores (using my elbows if necessary) and waiting in lines 15-people deep is not my idea of a fun time.

My biggest problem with holiday shopping is figuring out what to buy everyone. I've heard people say they suffered a major sensory overload after spending a few days in Las Vegas, and I can understand that. The lights, the noises, the hookers outside your hotel, yeah. That all plays a role. Christmas shopping is very similar: I call it way-too-many-things-to-choose-from overload (try saying that five times as fast as possible).

For example, I could go to Macy's and buy my sisters perfume, shoes, handbags, dresses, pants, sweaters, homegoods, kitchengoods, bathroom goods, and all other types of goods.

Or I could go to a golf store and buy my dad golf balls, tees, a new driver, a new putter, golf shirts, pants, hats, a new bag, headcovers, or a new golf swing (he could use some help).

I may also want to drop by Williams Sonoma and purchase something for my mother: new pots and pans, an expensive knife set, an oak cutting board, a Rachel Ray cookbook, a fondu maker, or another overpriced kitchen-related item.

And then there are the gift cards: GAP, Best Buy, CVS, Barnes and Noble, Borders, itunes, ihop, isomethingelse, Safeway, Giant, Shaws (for you Northern folk), Amazon.com, Flowers.com, yourlastname.com, and the generic mall one.

So what are you all doing for the rest of the week? Who here still needs to purchase some last-minute gifts? If you are looking for me, I'll be lost somewhere between a new wallet and a six-pack of tube socks.

-Jason

3 Comments:

At 1:00 PM, Blogger Andy Cuneo said...

The great thing about getting Tube Socks is you can regift them in a Yankee Swap, which, as you know, can either be an opening of a usually tacky, undesired gift and a subsequent trade for another tacky, usually undesird gift or what Steinbrenner did with Billy Martin. In either case, tacky was the word I'd use to describe it.

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Alison said...

Jas, where the heck are your blogs. I check every day, I'm starting to loose hope. Don't let your loyal fans down.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jay - This is the only way I know to get in touch with you. Hope things are going well. Still in D.C.? We tend to get down there a few times a year; Adam has a few friends that are getting a LLM in Tax at Georgetown that we often visit. What's new with you? I've just registered for Simmons' five year reunion and I am completely depressed that I've been out of college for five years now! The time has gone back too fast but I have to say that I've aged gracefully and I'm sue Sue will say the same about herself!
I just wanted to drop you a line and see how you've been. Keep in touch, New York Nicole

 

Post a Comment

<< Home