Jason's blog

Google

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The dog park

I had my first experience at a dog park this week. And I liked it so much, I went twice.

My friends Andy and Alison live in nearby Reston and they have a yellow lab. His name is Jake and although he has made a sport out of destroying their new condo, he is a great dog! Now that I live only 10 minutes from them, I figured I'd spend some time with Jake when I am free to get him out of the house.

On Monday, Jake and I went to the dog park in Reston. He's a veteran of the place, so he gave me directions as I drove. "Take a left Uncle Jason. Ok, follow this road and take a right at that stop sign. Now another left ... hey we're here!"

I really did not know what to expect. Is it a fenced-in area? I assumed it was. Grass? Dirt? How big is it? How many dogs will be there? I pulled up and got my first glimpse.

There was a large fenced-in area filled with gravel. A few dogs were racing around with each other, but it was quiet this day. I glanced at my watch and figured it was still early for the late afternoon influx of canines and their handlers. I opened up the back door of my car, clipped the leash on Jake's collar, and led him take the lead. He raced up the small grassy knoll (???) and waited at the first gate. "C'mon Uncle Jason! Open the gate!"

I unlatched the gate, took off his leash, and let Jake show me where to go from here. He ran up to the second gate, the one that led into the play area. I could sense his excitement by the grin on his face and the tongue hanging out of his mouth. As I opened the second door, Jake stuck his nose through the small opening. "Hurry up! My friends are in there!" Roughly 0.08 seconds later, Jake was at a full sprint.

As I said, there were only a few dogs at the park this day. But that didn't stop Jake from having fun. He wrestled, rolled in the gravel, and raced his friends. I found an old frisbee on the other end of the pen, which measured about 75 yards X 40, and called to Jake. He raced over in excitement as I prepared to toss the yellow disk. And for the next 30 minutes, him and another dog played and played and played with this thing. It was like I put LSD on it or something.

Let's skip ahead to Tuesday, when Jake and I returned to the dog park. I knew the routine so I let Jake in and counted atleast 15 other dogs there. "Alright Uncle Jason! Now we can have some fun!"

There were labs, boxers, dalmations, shepherds, and all combinations thereof running around like mad men and women. Jake instantly found a white-colored lab and started wrestling and playfully biting. They had a blast together!

To anyone who has never been to a dog park, picture this: You're standing in the middle of this huge area covered with gravel. There are dogs all around you, most of them running at or near full speed. If you don't keep your head on a swivel, you might get run into a few times by an out of control dog. But it's so much fun! Aside from having to pull your dog off another one every now and again, you just watch these wonderful animals socialize with each other.

Today was about 35 degrees and windy at the park, but Jake and I stayed for over an hour. When I called him over and told him it was time to go, I swear I saw him frown. "We have to leave now? But I just made some new friends! Can I atleast get their number? I like that chocolate lab chick over there!"

Sorry Jake, it's time to leave. I leashed him up and walked out of the pen smiling. I told Jake I would take him back soon so he can hit on the chocolate lab.

-Jason

14 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post reads much, much funnier if you pretend Jake is Jason's boyfriend and not his dog.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Jas, we love the dog park here! it is so much fun. Yellow dog doesnt get to come on busy days, because she is so weird and acts like the other dogs hurt her and they dont even touch her. I think she needs puppy prozac.
Keep bringing Jake to the park , I know Andy will appreciate the fact that the dog comes home and sleeps as apposed to chewing everything and its a great way to meet chicks!

 
At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Jason said...

I don't know who has been posting the "fish sandwich" comments, but please refrain from doing so in the future. I am trying to keep this blog as professional as possible and have shown it to people I am trying to work for, so I'd like to keep it clean. Thanks.
-Jason

 
At 5:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Jay. Come give me a big hug.

By the way, 75 yards x 40 is the biggest Frisbee I've ever heard of in my life!!!!!

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Fish sandwich, dude you need to out yourself. Who are you? And what are you doing here? If you dont have an answer to either of these questions, please kindly see yourself out of this blog.
Thanks!

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to be fair to the mysterious fish man, his comments may be nonsensical, but they're by far the funniest comments here. i mean, that really is a huge frisbee.

 
At 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Fish sandwiches is the only reason why I even click on this site. Otherwise it is Jay and Andy telling each other how great they are.

Jay ... your dog must be a freakin' giant if he can catch that massive frisbee!!!!!

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummmm, like, HELLO morons. it wans't the frisbee that was 75-by-40, it was the dog park!!!!!!!!!111 why don't you try reading what he writes on teh blog.

we can't visit the dog park up here in Cheboygan during the winter because its too cold. we put a space heater in Brown dog's cage and it keeps him nice and warm!!!!1

don't worry, Brown dog has a big cage with the heater. its like 8-by-8.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, stillnot, an 8 x 8 space heater!!!!! Are you trying to heat all of Cheyboygan?? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Seriously, how does your dog not fry do death? I know you want to keep him warm but that would just exacebate matters.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Stop posting your comments.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seriously stop... my sides hurt so much from laughing. these people slay me. i don't know where you come up with this stuff!!!!!11

Its not really a cage that we put Brown dog in, it's more of a cell taht's big enuf for a heater. it's like his own little doggy sauna!!

i'm so glad i stumbled into this blog. glad to see there are other fun Devaneys out there, not just here in Cheboygan!!!!!1

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said:

To anyone who has never been to a dog park, picture this: You're standing in the middle of this huge area covered with gravel.

Jay, how do you manage to move around this huge area if you're all covered with gravel????? So now you're telling me you're in this huge area, covered with a passel of gravel, flinging around 75 x 40 yard Frisbees??? I'm starting to think you're making this whole story up!!!!!! LOLOL!!!!!

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, do we have to explain everything to you. LOL. its the dog park that is covered in gravel, not Jay!!!!! Or wait, are you being sarcastic? You never can tell on the World Wide Web unless you use smileys like :) or :( or :--;

back at North Cheboygan Elementary we used to type 701 77345 into our calculators and if you flip it upside down it says SHELL OIL. LOLz!!!!!11

 

Post a Comment

<< Home