Jason's blog

Google

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day. What is it? Who chose February 14th over, say, April 5? Or October 19? What does it really mean?

Let me start by saying this: I am writing this column at 9:50 p.m. on V-Day, so clearly I do not have a date ce soir. In fact, I haven't had a V-Day date in like four years! I've had girlfriends and "dating friends" over the years, but for some reason I always end up alone on February 14th.

I've heard a lot of chatter the past few days about this so-called special day, some of it positive and some of it negative. My sister Alison wrote me an IM earlier today that said, "Happy Valentine's Day, aka the worst day of the year." She was obviously kidding, but she was hinting that she was also single on this much overrated day. It was funny nonetheless.

My man Sean Hannity (click on his link to the right) did a few segments on his show today called "Dr. Hannity," during which listeners called in and asked for his opinion on matters of love, dating, sex, and anything else that Valentine's day brings out. And I've seen newspaper advertisements over the past few weeks for all sorts of V-Day related products.

I've talked to some people the past few days, both singles and ones with significant others, and many of them think Valentine's Day is overrated. It's just a day on the calendar that falls after February 13th, but before February 15th. Did someone simply close their eyes, extend a finger, and point to a random date on the calendar when this day was invented?

The History Channel's website has some information on the history of Valentine's day. Apparently St. Valentine was either a priest or some other religious figure a loooong time ago. Some believe that February 14th is the day that he either died or was buried, around 270 A.D. Others think that this date was chosen by the Christian Church because February was the beginning of spring in ancient Rome. Whatever the case, this day surely has its roots.

One of the worst Valentine's Day's was back in 1929 in Chicago during what was called the St. Valentine's Day Massacre. Al Capone ordered a hit of Bugs Moran's men in the city, and seven lay dead after the violence was over. Tough day at the office for those gangsters, eh?

Here's my take on Valentine's day. If you love someone, or even if you are dating someone, act like every day is Valentine's Day. If you're a man, randomly send flowers to your girl every so often. Send them to her work on a Wednesday afternoon, when she will be completely surprised. When you talk to your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend/dating friend on the phone, over email, or in person, tell them what you think of them. A quick "I love you," goes a long way. Or if you just started dating a girl, tell her, "I really like spending time with you and I see some potential between us." Or if you've been dating for a few months but haven't dropped the "L" word yet, tell her, "I think you're terrific." If you're going out to dinner on a Friday night, say, "You look amazing in that dress."

I am not trying to give examples of what and what not to say; my point is that Valentine's Day can be any day you want it to be. If you need February 14th to express your love or feelings for someone, something is wrong. It's just another day and there are 364 0thers just like it.

-Jason

12 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Sherlon Christie said...

D-man don't feel bad. I've been dateless on V-day for four straight years. Although, it stinks to be single on a day like this...the stress level for a single man on days like this is nonexistent.

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Mrs A. said...

well, i feel you on it being a regular day, but do you feel the same about every other holiday??? i dont understand why people get so crabby about valentine's. i mean, do they get funky around christmas and thanksgiving? those are holidays centered around family so i feel that your statement is true, pick any day to show someone you love them or to spend with family, but i think the concept is nice...just to revel in a day set aside especially for a certain purpose-cuz for folks that have hectic lives or lots of drama, etc, some need a "holiday push" to get them out of the grind and into other facets of life.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Ah, Valentine's Day, its good sometimes. But even sometimes when you have a special someone (aka a husband in my case) you feel a tremendous amount of pressure to get the right card or gift. And even if you both agree "no gifts this year" and then someone comes home with something ... you end up running to the nearest drug store and grabbing a last minute lame card. Not that I am referring to myself... okay I am. Adam just got me this little stuffed animal and I know I had this look on my face like "I didnt even get you a card" then it was off to the drug store.
We aggreed and shook on it that next year is "cards only" but now I have to get him one from me, from Hannah, from the new baby, from the dogs...
God, Hallmark makes such a fortune on all of us (especially me).
To be quite honest, I have been so sick that I didnt even realize it was Valentine's day until my mom called to tell Hannah and I so!

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What started out as a bad day actually turned out to be great. It seemed like this year, all of my friends and roomates had their special "valentine". I was pretty bummed out, but then I went out to the bars with some of my single friends, and we had such a great time!! No valentines, just lots of drinks, some friends, and a 1am Cheesburger from the local fast food place. Ahh...what a great Valentine's Day!!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Waddie G. said...

I think it was Kristoff St. Valentine who chose February 14...nah I made that up

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

andy said: You whoo and whoo and whoo

spoken like the Nature Boy! Whoooooo!!!!

And you don't need no Valentine's Day card when you're a lady stealin' wheelin' and dealin' limousine ridin' jet flyin' son of a gun. Whooooooo!!!!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Good comments everyone! When I said "every day is Valentine's Day," I meant that we can express our love/feelings for our loved one/significant other every day. Like I said, just say "I love you." And buy flowers or a card every once in a while.

 
At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sentiment Jay! Allow me to say here on Feb. 15 that I love you.

 
At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay, now it is Feb. 16, and I still love you.

 
At 2:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feb. 17 now Jay ... and I love you more than ever before!!!!!

 
At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feb. 18 and I still love you, Jay.

 
At 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jay ... it is Feb. 19. I love you. And not just because of how good your butt looks in a pair of tight jeans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home