Jason's blog

Google

Friday, February 10, 2006

The police

I thought about writing a column on the Super Bowl, the latest Democratic conspiracy to express its hatred for President Dubyah, or even about the impending snowstorm the DC Metro area is getting tomorrow. But this has all been done. I felt it was time for something original, something that only I would know about.

My experience with the police.

After work Wednesday night, I approached my car and noticed something stuck to the windshield. As I peeled it off, I realized it was a ticket! Not a parking ticket, but a $50 fine for not having a front tag. I'll explain the reason for this later. Furthermore, the officer wrote "yes" in the box that read, "Tow request."

Tow request??? I almost got towed!!!

Being the paranoid person that I usually am, I decided to fork over $7 and park in a nearby lot the next night. The ticket was bad enough, but I CANNOT afford to have my car towed. That would be awful.

After work on Thursday, I gave one of my co-workers a ride home. He told me that he would have to leave early because he was taking the bus home this night, but I figured we could use an extra hand so I offered to play chauffeur.

This kid lives way up in Northwest DC and as we arrived in front of his building, a police car passed me. I didn't think much of it so I took the next right in order to swing around to the front of his building. But after I made the turn, I saw the police car speeding up behind me. What? I didn't do anything! Five seconds later, the officer lit me up. I pulled into a parking lot, rolled my window down all the way, and kept my hands where he could seen them. Having almost been an officer myself a few months back, I knew the drill. And since it was 3:15 a.m., any car on the road would arouse suspicion.

Officer: What's up? Driver's license please.
Me: Sure. {takes off gloves, takes out wallet, and hands license to officer}.
Officer: What happened to your front tag?
Me: You know, funny story. The screws that hold the license plate are stuck and I cannot get them out. I have been meaning to get it fixed. I'll show you if you want.
Officer: Ok. Where you headed?
Me: Home. Well, I am dropping him off [points to kid in passenger seat] and then I am heading home to Virginia. We work at a bar. I have a Maryland ID but I moved to Virginia two weeks ago.
Officer: Where in Virginia?
Me: Sterling.
Officer. Ok. Are you straight? Nothing to drink tonight?
Me: No sir, nothing at all.
Officer: [hands back license to me] Have a good night.

Phew! No ticket. Although I was prepared to show him the citation I received the night before if he wrote me up. But do you know what's weird? I was nervous. I was five weeks away from becoming a police officer in December and now I am nervous?!? We've all been there. As soon as the officer gets on your bumper and lights you up, your mouth dries up, your heart rate increases, and your palms become sweaty.

Fast forward about 20 minutes ...

I was on the G.W. Parkway heading home, traveling about 55 MPH in the 50 MPH zone. I was in the right lane and there was a car a few lengths behind me, but I noticed another car traveling in the left lane at a high rate of speed. He was probably going about 70. It was pitch black out, but I looked at the headlights and knew it was a Ford Crown Victoria (again, learned from my police training). Figuring it was another police officer, I slowed down to 50 and just cruised.

The officer followed the first car for about a half mile, obviously looking for any signs of a DUI or DWI (excessive or too little speed, swerving, rapid acceleration/deceleration, etc.). Apparently that car was 10-41, so he made his way up to my car. I could see him in my side mirror and knew he was watching me like a hawk. I just told myself to keep both hands on the wheel, maintain my speed, and keep both eyes on the road.

After almost a mile, I too was determined to be 10-41. The Park Police officer sped up to about 75 and took off before pulling into the department's headquarters a few miles ahead.

For the remainder of my ride home, I don't think I went 0.5 miles over the speed limit. And when I made it home unscathed, I took a deep breath and was thankful to be home without another ticket!!!

-Jason

5 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

something that only I would know about.

The police.


I don't think you're the only person who knows about the police Jay!!! I've heard about them, and so have all my friends!!!!!

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as the officer gets on your bumper and lights you up, your mouth dries up, your heart rate increases, and your palms become sweaty.


Jay this is disgusting!!! I know we all have our little fantasies but I do not need to hear about how you want to be violated by a cop!

 
At 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh oh, looks like someone got pulled over by the grammar police.

book 'em! LOLz!!!!!

 
At 5:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how did stillnotadevaneygirl's comment not make sense, Andy? the linebacker posted a comment catching a grammitical faux pas and she made a witty parallel to the subject of the current weblog. take away that silly LOL and it was quite a humorous post.

and a simple google search reveals a 10-41 is police code for beginning a tour of duty. our blogger friend probably meant a 10-40 for a silent run - no lights and siren.

10-4? over an out.

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Never been pulled over Cuneo? Damn. If I had completed the academy and become a police officer, I would have arranged one of my police friends to stop you. Maybe have him plant something in your pockets ... haha. Imagine that?

Seriously though, 10-41 in the department I worked for meant "Welfare good, no assistance needed." When I used it in that column, I was trying to say that I was good to go and there was nothing wrong with me. I would have used the clearance code for a DUI, but I don't have the list of codes anymore.

It's weird (and stupid) because not every department uses the same 10 codes. A 10-41 where I was obviously doesn't mean the same thing as what wordsmith found on a google search. The department I worked for tried to make things easier by going with plain english radio speak instead of 10 codes (along with the other departments in the DC metro area), but I thought (and still think) that there should be a standardized list of 10 codes for everyone to use across the country.

Like for example, instead of saying on the radio, "I need a 10-29 on XXX person," you're supposed to say, "I need a wanted check on XXX person."

I don't like it, but I am not in that field anymore so it is no longer my concern.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home